.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

" Thou art the Iris"

      " Thou art the Iris, fair among the fairest,
         who, armed with golden rod and winged
         with celestial azure, bearest the message
         of a God."

                            H. W.  Longfellow


                                 





I am not sure, which God Longfellow refers to, but I dare hope, that he would refer
to our Creator, the Creator of all things, even the beautiful Iris.







Poets, artists and aspiring Photographers like me cannot help but see the hand of God
in the beauty around us, especially in the splendid creation of flowers.






I stand in awe, admiring the uniqueness of each flower, their colour, their scent, their shape.





God is indeed the greatest artist we know.
Of all creations, I think flowers in their abundant
differences, and which ,despite their fragile natures,  defy the harshness of their environment,
bear the message of God.
















                         

2 comments:

Sue Frelick said...

After looking out the windows this morning at the snow that has been falling steadily, your iris photos are a pleasurable diversion. I agree with you, one feels so close to God in a garden!

I'm torn between asking a gardening question and a photography question, so I'll go with gardening...I haven't grown irises. What kind of soil do they like? Do they have any properties other than their beauty (medicinal, or edible)?

Renate Duclos said...

Sue, I have to admit that my knowledge about the Bearded Iris, as she is called, does not go beyond my admiration. I just googled her and found out how little I know. I was always an enthusiastic gardener not studying the subject much, going by trial and error and enjoying the experience.I planted most of my things before "Life with Google. Today I learn , how much I did not know.I have had considerable trouble growing irises.Now I know why. Please Google . There is a wealth of information on the lovely Iris.