.

Thursday, January 14, 2010

The "mighty" thistle




This donkey obviously loves thistles , and so do I. Perhaps that's because I am not a big time farmer.
To them thistles are a scourge. They propagate by the millions, have painfully sharp thorns, and have underground runners that are impossible to irradicate.



I love them , because birds, bees and butterflies love them  and they are very photogenic and controllable in my little garden. I am not sure what kind of thistles are growing in my garden.According to my research one might be a scotch thistle and something else. I have tall ones and small ones and they are all beautiful

















                                                       







                

4 comments:

Sue Frelick said...

Renate, your photos are stunning as usual. What kind of camera do you use? Did you plant the thistles yourself or are they volunteers?

Renate Duclos said...

Sue, I planted the large thistle and the small one is a guest. I am not sure which camera I used . Over the years I have used several, always upgrading. My current and favourite one is a Canon XTi which I won in the competition.

Sue Frelick said...

Which competition was that?

Renate Duclos said...

This was the " Chronicle Herald" Competition, where My Freddy the Frog with the mosquito on his head won top overall Honors.Along with the camera I also won a color printer.It was amazing!!