.

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Life on the farm

       

In the rural areas of Tonga and the small villages the animals roam freely. It is not unusual to see a cow walking on the street which got tired of it's tether. But they were  mostly chickens, dogs and PIGS which entertained me.
I love pigs and took plenty of pictures of them . I wanted to hold the sweet little new born ones but they were impossible to catch.
The pigs come home in the evening to eat and sleep when they hear their masters call  which sounds like " baa"  "baa" and "maa"  "maa".

The farmers who own plantations feed them coconut and greenery.It seems like quite a skill to watch Latu hold a coconut in one hand and half it with a big machete.




 Ginger was quite a character




do you love me, Mommy?




Puss'n coconuts




best place on earth


 Feeding  on coconut



best bath I ever had


  Just a little bite please!!




maybe I try the ocean this time




The nerve of that guy




please feed us!!
ouch!!



naptime




My friend Tito
At certain festivities a ceremonial pig is slaughtered.The more honorable the person , the larger the pig.
This is the sad fate of the very large pigs. .Other than for ceremonial purposes they have no use since they are made up of mostly fat.











        

No comments: